Re: SS/WS6 stock classification

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SS/WS6 stock classification
From: Matthew Carson <mcars@vt.edu>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 20:33:56 -0400
>The difference in the stock torsen and a race
>version is night and day.  The stock version works OK  but has no big
>advantage over the Auburn unit. IMHO I don't think this is a big issue.

OK so the "stock" SS Torsen from pre-99+ Ss's (now stock on all F cars) was
no advantage over the stock Auburn in pre-99 F cars (aside from not having
to replace it so often).  What about the uplevel diff for an SS, installed
by SLP?  That IS a race diff, an Auburn Pro if I am not mistaken.  I don't
have a problem with the stock SS diff in FS, but I don't think the Auburn
Pro, optional on the SS, should be allowed.  I don't know how to class it
in FS to allow one option but not another.

Just for some background here is the way I understand it.  Before 1999, F
cars came from the factory with Auburn diffs.  At SLP SS's had Torsen diffs
installed, unless you ordered the uplevel diff, an Auburn Pro.  Starting in
99, the low end Torsen previously installed only on SS's was put on all F
cars at the factory, eliminating the need to change the rear end on SS's
unless you ordered the uplevel diff, in which case an Auburn Pro is
installed.  I will check for sure on Monday to make sure I am not lying.

-Matt