Re: Classing by Potential

To: "washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>, "Steve Sucsy" <ssucsy@nts-online.net>
Subject: Re: Classing by Potential
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 08:06:43 -0500
>I stopped reading right here.  Like it or not, car classing is based on
>the potential performance, and is blind to who is driving.  If even one
>person can make a car perform to a certain level, than logic tells you
>that the car has the potential for that given performance.

It tells you the car's performance at the hands of that one driver, but
really doesn't give you a good data point unless a) several drivers
are having the same luck in the same car or b) the competition is
being driven by someone of equal caliber.   Let's say I show up for
three NTs in my 120HP MKI MR2 and absolutely stomp all of CSP
(yeah, right).  Would you propose to reclass the MKI MR2 even though
every other entrant was a newbie at his 1st/2nd/3rd event (extreme
example, but you get my point)?

Besides....Steve said that Gary Thomason in a well prepared S2000
is an ominous force, not that he was a dominant one.  I think the words
'ominous force' can be applied to Carter Thompson in an MR2 Turbo,
GH Sharp in a Boxster or M3, Mark Daddio in anything.  I have yet to
see an S2000 driver run away with things like someone in a certain
German car who has been the subject of enough debate in this forum
already.

David Hawkins
86 Mr2 CSP in pieces