Re: Classing by Potential

To: washburn@dwave.net, ssucsy@nts-online.net
Subject: Re: Classing by Potential
From: Jkinser77@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:25:52 EDT
Maybe a solution for all of this if it were possible, would be to have all
these cars gathered at some location and before any classing is done, have
some of the top drivers in the sport-Ames, Daddio, Altenburg, Brolliar, John
Thomas, plus the car classification fellows drive these cars, not just in a
straight line but on an autocross.  Then make classings based on the
findings, results.  This will show the most potential from a car by some of
the best drivers driving them.

So many cars have been classed in the past on what the paper says for
stats...but then when actually raced, it's not going to really live up to
what we all expected from it.  I am sure there are may dealers out there who
autocross, roadrace....there are some out there who would be wiling to allow
their car to be used for a "test drive" for SCCA to class a car...

With all the gripes and concerns about where the cars are going, should
go...for some of these people who have never driven any of them, you might be
surprised.  Then , seeing what one person can do vs. most drivers in a car
and getting the potential out of them,  we are supposed to be classing the
cars on the cars potential, right?  Well, it takes a great driver to get that
potential 100% out of it...I guess it seems something like this would make
sense to do if you want to class it as close to where it needs to be.

One thing Evolution has helped with soime of these issues is that a couple of
the board members, car classification committes have taught at some classes
where some of these newer questionable cars have been.  This goes for the
past couple years.  And itys been interesting to hear their views after
driving some of these cars
and how some feelings/opinions changed after they drove them.

Just an opinion after watching, listening, and getting to drive some of these
questionable cars...

Jean Kinser
Evolution Performance Driving School-McKamey Autocross Division
Owner/Co-Founder