Re: Classing by Potential

To: Jkinser77@aol.com
Subject: Re: Classing by Potential
From: Ghsharp@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 15:28:02 EDT
In a message dated 7/7/00 1:45:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Jkinser77@aol.com
writes:

> I am beginning to think that logical and simple thinking...common sense
stuff
> sometimes doesn't apply to this list...They just keep harping on the one
> driver deal...the simple thing is take the top 5-10 drivers in the country
> who get the most out of the cars right off the bat-the 95%, plan a pro
solo,
> tour with these guys and get some people to bring those cars there...we
> travel for lesser things...I mean plan this "event" for the drivers to
drive
> these cars, and the board who will be classing them.

It's logical and simple, and I'd love to be one of the people involved in
it...but
how do you come up with shocks and the other things the rules allow us to
do to all of these cars and then allow for the fact that it may take some of
the very best in our sport a season or more to get a car "sorted out" and
really working well?  Who pays for all the parts and everyone's time and
expenses?  New cars debut at various times during the year, how do we
handle that?  If you test at different times of the year, even at the same
location, how do you correlate the results?

As you pointed out earlier, a lot of cars don't get classified "cold".
Various
people on the SEB and SCAC get the opportunity to drive them and get an
idea of what their capabilities are.  In a lot of cases that person will be
someone who is familiar with earlier models of the same car and/or other
cars that are in its potential class.  This is one of the advantages of having
people from a range of classes and competitive experience serving on the
committees that make the decision.  Although you can argue that the ideal
situation would be to have all the cars in the same place at the same time,
I'd bet if you gave each of those same "testers" one of the cars for a season
then came back and tested it again, it would test better.  So we would have
to try to make some allowance in the initial classing of a new car for it's
eventual development as a Solo vehicle, which is one of the things we look
at already.  IOW, there would still be some uncertainty as to the ultimate
capability of the car in question, just as there is under the current system.

If you can figure out the logistics/financing of the Big Test, let me know, I
can
be on the next plane. <g>

GH