Re: 1st gen RX-7 setup

To: <Mdmotorsprt@aol.com>, <Smokerbros@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1st gen RX-7 setup
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 07:20:36 -0500
From: Mdmotorsprt@aol.com <Mdmotorsprt@aol.com>

>Uh, ever autocrossed a real front heavy car?

Yes.

>In Stock?

>The fix for FWD cars
>such as that is extreme differences in tire pressure, very high fronts to
>relatively low rears to induce oversteer.

Not the way I play it.  I know that some folks like to under-inflate  the
rears, but I hate the mushy, rubber-band transitions with this setup.  I
much prefer to OVER-inflate  the rears to induce oversteer.  This works by
making the tire patch smaller.  It gives much crisper, more-linear handling.
Also, since the wear patterns on the rear tires become very different than
the wear patterns on the front tires, frequent tire rotation extends tire
life.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
"If I can do it, it's not art"  - Red Green