Re: 1st gen RX-7 setup

To: CJ Bienert <rallyfan555@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 1st gen RX-7 setup
From: Tim Schuh <tim@wankel.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 07:21:55 -0500
Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 7/9/00 8:51:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> Mdmotorsprt@aol.com writes:
>
> <<  I too run a 1st Gen RX7: The quick and dirty? Your tire pressure should
> be
>  reversed. They way you are right now, an RX7, or any car, will induce
>  oversteer. The RX7 is even more pronounced as the car's balance tends toward
>  oversteer. Solution? Higher pressure AT THE REAR!  >>
>
> I absolutely disagree!  I ran 34F/30R on BFG Comp T/A R1's with lots of
> success (relatively speaking, considering the other cars classed in C/S)  The
> following is based on the assumption that your 7 is a GSL-SE.  You definitely
> need a large front bar, preferably the Ground Control adjustible bar, Tokico
> Illuminas set to 5F/3-4R, make sure you keep the Limited Slip fairly tight
> (within stock specs) and as much caster as you can get without interference
> (assuming you have PS, the only way to go in my book.)
>
> Charlie Davis

This is almost the exact setup I used last year in CS.  With that
configuration I had a hard time getting the rear wheels to spin
without doing something really, really stupid.  The biggest difference
I found was with the front anti-roll bar which I bought from Mazda
Competition Parts for about $130.  Bang for the buck, this is the way
to go.  Tokico Illuminas were added before hand and while they did help
dramatically, they were overshadowed by the anti-sway.

I could throttle steer through tighter corners and hammer out of
faster corners.  The car transitioned quickly and kept it's foot
planted once I learned how to drive.  Body roll was significantly
reduced over stock.  I was having a blast chasing the MR-2's around CS
until I failed emissions.  Instead of spending $1,100 on a factory cat
I bought an aftermarket cat and finished the season in CSP where I've
spent even more money, gone even faster (me and my money) and have had
as much fun as I did in CS even though competition is a little more
scarce.

Ok, I'm done yammering.  Time for coffee....

--
Tim Schuh - http://www.wankel.net
"If ya ain't hitting cones, ya ain't drivin' fast enough!" - Me

SCCA Texas Region
84 Mazda Rx-7 GSL-SE - #14 C Street Prepared
93 Mazda Rx-7 base   - Aftermarket everything
90 Dodge B250 Conversion -  #1 Love-nasium and Tow Vehicle

Dallas / Fort Worth Rx-7 list   : dfw-rx7@wankel.net
Dallas / Fort Worth Rx-7 webpage: dfwrx7.wankel.net
QwikData Data Acquisition list  : qwikdata@wankel.net
QwikData Data Acquisition Docs  : http://qwikdata.ugly.net
Texas Region Autocross Video    : http://autocross.ugly.net