Re: Not all OEM wheels suck

To: pfoster@gdi.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Not all OEM wheels suck
From: "Kevin Stevens" <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:01:54 PDT
Ok, let me change the emphasis here:  "Why on earth would anyone buy NEW
stock wheels for racing?"  Does that help?  I see tons of used Porsche
wheels for sale all the time.

I defended the suggestion that the aftermarket wheel allowance for Stock be
eliminated, on the basis that people can and usually prefer to run
aftermarket wheels of different size on the street, making their stock
wheels available for autox.

The point was made that additional sets of rims are sometimes required , for
rain tires and general merriment, and that new stock rims can be more
expensive than new custom rims.

My response is that
a) There's no need to buy NEW stock rims for any stock car that's
   been on the market for any period of time, since wheel-swapping
   by the general public is so common.
b) I exampled the three sets of used stock rims I have bought for
   my cars, all of which were significantly cheaper than either
   new or used custom rims.
c) For the S2000 and other first-year cars, worst case, you have to
   buy a new set of stock rims.  But I'm not buying that there aren't
   ANY out there.  No S2000's have been wrecked yet?  Nobody makes
   an aftermarket wheel to run on the street?  TireRack shows some.

KeS