Re: Camber Limits and More

To: washburn@dwave.net
Subject: Re: Camber Limits and More
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:03:19 -0700
washburn wrote:

> So how much does camber plates cost me, and what do I do when they are
> not available for my car?  How is this better than shock allowances if I
> have to butcher up a stock vehicle in order to get the allowed camber?
> Work through all of the scenario's and you may find that the current
> structure is not this big unfair thing you perceive, and make it out to
> be.

I guess my point was kinda fuzzy, and not well thought out. Let's try
again....

Right now the variations allowed from stock are the free front sway bar,
longer wheel studs, spacers, $1000+ shocks, plus a few other things. Those are
in comparison not much different from camber plates/bolts/slots. Why stop
there? What exists now favors some cars and not others. No free front *or
rear* bar would be in fact more fair.

So........

In my best world of worlds, that which would be the most fair would be to
readopt the "Stock is Stock" concept, and let the chips fall where they may.
NO variations from stock. The only ones against this will likely be those
whose personal oxen cart will be overturned  :-)

What exists now was probably or philosophically put into place to make things
"more fair", but in fact has not. We now have a mutated version of Stock with
prejudices that have evolved over time. I prefer to think these unintentional.

I for one will not go to Nationals unless I have a chance at a top third or
better finish.  I think others believe as I do. Some do go for other reasons.
Talent, combined with the unlimited resources is unbeatable. As things exist
now, I figure I will have no chance for that goal unless I spend what is
necessary ($$$shocks, sway bar, spacers, longer studs, etc.).

I feel many more folks will try the larger events if they perceive that they
have a chance. Many stay away because they know they truly do not unless they
meet the $tandard. There will always be cost associated with any automotive
sport. There should be at least one place where an effort is made to keep
those costs at a minimum.

This is a time to reflect on *where we have come from*, and also *where we
would like to be*.

Is there really no place for a Pure Stock class in our sport?

Here's hoping........

Scott Meyers