Re: Helmet Painting

To: Smokerbros@aol.com, Hottvr@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Helmet Painting
From: "Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:55:30 GMT
Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:

>We used to have them inside the timing trailer, and you had to
>give up your license for a helmet.  Don't think we lost a one.

Out here in the New York Metro area, most clubs put their
half dozen or so loaners out on pylons near the starting
line.  Need a helmet?  Grab it, take yer run, and put it
right back for the next guy to use.  The driver must
return the loaner hat as soon as he/she exits the course,
and there's sometimes a line of cars waiting at the two-driver
car lane for the next helmet to come back.  They actually
police themselves, since several people could be waiting for
the XYZZY helmet.

If you let people keep the helmet for the day, they'll probably
forget to return it before they leave.  If the "helmet
liberator" only runs with one club, tagging the loaner
helmet would be a moot point.  It'll look right at home at
your events!

I haven't been keeping tabs, but I don't think that we've lost
many (if any) loaners between all the clubs in the area.  Did I
mention that this is in New York!?!?! :-)   You got a problem
with that??? :-)

>In addition to making them less desirable, we need to
>work on enforcement of the driver's license exchange.

The method used out here makes them less desirable.  Imagine
sticking your head into a sweaty bowling shoe at the end
of the day.  Trust me, nobody wants them by the last
heat!  In this area, loaner helmets are probably the
biggest reason why novices don't come back..... :-)

-Arthur ("Gonna open a helmet sales booth on Sundays" edition.)