Re: FSP?

To: "Iain Mannix" <mannix@privatei.com>,
Subject: Re: FSP?
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:15:48 -0500
Iain Mannix wrote:

> From what (non scientific) research I've done, the radials seem
> be faster on concrete(significantly), about the same on
asphalt,
> and slower than the BPs on crappy asphalt/low grip/damp
conditions.

I agree. I ran AutoCrossers up until last October, when I changed
over to radials. After getting the pressures right (about 50%
higher than I ran in the bias plys), enough negative camber, and
getting used to the much different feel, I have concluded the
radials are much faster on concrete. On asphalt, the radials are
probably better than the bias plys, but not by nearly as great a
margin, if you can manage to get enough heat into them. As my car
weighs a bit over 1300 lbs., that's a problem for me when the
temperature isn't mid-90s or higher. In the wet or cold,
fuhgeddaboudit.

The radials drive much "cleaner" and their breakaway is more
rapid, but still very linear. You can get away with more
sloppiness on the bias ply tires, but at the expense of maximum
grip under most conditions.

All IMHO, of course.

Jay