re pax index and asphalt vs concrete

To: <dave@wcsllc.net>
Subject: re pax index and asphalt vs concrete
From: "Dan Morency" <DMorency@gwi.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:26:24 -0400
Getting FTD and 42 in Pax doesn't say anything about the index. We all know
that PAX is not very accurate, it's just the best that we have. It means
that when adjusted based on national events we would have expected that he
would have been even faster when getting FTD. Pax indexing expects faster
classes to get faster times. We cannot infer much of anything based on an
event or a type of surface, too many variables exist.

Our club also sees that Street touring and GS cars tend to win the pax
battles. I would suggest that these cars are not run by the strongest
drivers at the national level or prepared to a high level, we see it on all
surfaces and most track designs except when courses are so tight and short
that GS cars have a severe disadvantage.

PAX as it stands is based on limited data from limited numbers of events and
tend to be associated with concrete surfaces. That is where they apply best
but the actual workings of course designs and their relationship to cars
strengths and weaknesses are too complicated to model with a simple add 25%
adjustment.

Dan Morency

There is a AX course design presentation on the web that does a good job
defining the curves Vs straight aspects to balance a course for different
types of cars. This is still a very simplistic model!