Re: Yokohama Slicks - Part 2

To: JVHT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Yokohama Slicks - Part 2
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:10:16 -0500
JVHT@aol.com wrote:

> Website for Yokohama is:
>
> http://www.yokohamatire.com/

Right you are, John.  But there's nothing on their site about the
slicks.

I talked to a guy at PSRG today.  He seemed to be very knowledgeable
and very helpful.  Here's the skinny:

The Yokohama slicks they sell are the spec tires for (I believe he
said) the S2000 and Formula Atlantic series. He doesn't think they'll
work well for autocross because they won't have enough time to build
up enough heat to really make them stick.  He may have a point there.

However, after talking to him, I got to thinking... (Yeah, I know,
that's a dangerous thing to do!!)  The castoff Goodyear slicks that a
lot of us buy from John Berget are also road racing slicks, though not
spec tires.  However, for the most part, they're soft-compound
"qualifying" tires.  So they tend to get up to temp quicker than the
harder compound "race" tires.

At any rate, I called John Berget and he seems to think he can get me
a set of castoff Yokos in my size to try. Since I'm not really
competitive anyway, I think I may give it a shot just to see how they
compare with the Goodyears I've been using for the past 13 years!!!
Hmmm...  Maybe if I scuff them in and then treat them with Formula V,
Rocky....  8<{)

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman