Re: Lightweight wheels, drive only?

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lightweight wheels, drive only?
From: William Loring <bloring@tirerack.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:15:53 -0600
Okay, so this (theoretically, of course) means that it takes the same
-total- amount of energy to accelerate my car (or a wheel) from 0-20mph in
first gear as it does to go 0-20mph in fourth, right? I think I can
understand that, but still, something must give... it will take me -longer-
to get to 20mph in 4th than in 1st. The energy used is the constant, time is
the variable. If it took the same amount of time, we wouldn't need
transmissions.

However, when we're talking about accelerating drive and non-drive wheels
together, this means that time is constant relative to the two sets of
wheels. So, isn't there a difference in energy used, since time is now not a
variable?

Put another way: to accelerate from 0-20 mph in 4 seconds takes less energy
in 1st gear than it does in 4th gear. Isn't this correct?

Not trying to be argumentative, just making sure I understand this properly.

William Loring