RE: kids riding

To: "'Loren Williams'" <Loren@kscable.com>,
Subject: RE: kids riding
From: "Richard Atkins" <buzz@indiana.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 16:32:11 -0500
You are right, the paddock should be a concern but there are some big
differences
1) Drivers are not coming off (or going out for) the "fastest run of their
life"
2) big traffic time in paddock is between heats which last for a somewhat
limited time.

I take big exception to "passengers under the age of 12 must remain in the
vehicle", Given how hot it can be you will not be able to nor want to keep
kids in a car that may be 120 degrees or hotter. Leave car running with AC?
Would driver stay with car? If not, now you have running car under command
of a 8 year old. In some states this could bet you thrown in jail for
endangerment to minor. If driver stays in car what about the condensation
from the AC on grid, some other drivers may object to running thru your wet
spots before they go to out.

Richard Atkins wrote:

> I know YOU would not sue (at least until it happened to your child) but
> others may.
>
> Its an adult sport with very dangerous equipment. Lets protect the kids.

Loren Williams replied:
Kids are usually all over the paddock area at the average regional Solo
event.  The same cars that you see in grid go through there as well.  What
are we doing to protect our kids there?  What's the difference?

If you're really concerned, adopt the "passengers under the age of 12 must
remain in the vehicle when it is on grid" rule and be done with it.  They'd
be safer there than walking around in the paddock.