Re: Driven kicks it up a notch

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Driven kicks it up a notch
From: jac73@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 10:54:01 -0400
Greg Drake waxes somewhat eloquently on the CGI effects in "Driven" and
says:

>Im [sic] sorry all of you are so uptight that you cant [sic]
>let your imagination go along with the movie.

Somewhere, I have a button purchased from a vendor at Balticon (an annual
SF con in Baltimore) a few years ago that sums up my opinion on this
subject quite well.  It reads:

"I am willing to suspend my disbelief, but not hang it by the neck until
dead."

And the CGI you think is so cool is so *obviously* CGI that it's
distracting.  And that's just my take from watching all the assorted and
sundry preview/behind-the-scenes shows (ESPN, SpeedVision, HBO), the TV
commercials, and the clips from the various talk shows.

Jim Crider
autojim@att.net
Flagger at several Detroit Grands Prix CART events, none of which had huge
double-decker covered grandstands on the front straight of the temporary
street circuit laid out in a city park, and none of which served as the
season finale.