Driven kicks it up a notch

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Driven kicks it up a notch
From: Printline Signs Designs Printing <printery@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 11:17:20 -0700
I saw Driven on Friday night and I think the movie totally rocks!. Lets
see, it loud, its visual, and its big. I have my $25,000 dollar fine all
lined up so I can drive a Champ car on the city streets at night.

The CGI is first rate, lets see if you all can name any other movie that
uses CGI to "replace" actual objects into a scene. No the little green blob
of "flubber" doesnt count. Neither do all of the space creatures and horor
flick vilians, or the "Matrix, light bending trick". Im sorry all of you
are so uptight that you cant let your imagination go along with the movie.
Yes you can pick out the CGI stuff, yes the crash scenes are "over the top"
but so what! Hollywood does everything like that, its a movie not a
documentary. Le Mans has unrealistic racing in it, because I can guarantee
you that know one was "rubbin fenders" on the Muslane (sp) straight. Also
as I recall, in Grand Prix doesnt one of the drivers crash his car when it
leaves the track as if it had wings, then lands in a tree and of course
explodes in a huge fireball? Grand Prix also had some really bad "shallow"
characters in it too. If everyone on this list thinks that Professsional
drivers all make "nice-nice" with each other at the end of the day, and
that the pits aren't full of "willing groupies" then I think you need to
spend some time at some pro races and read some driver auto-biographys.
Racing at the top level is a dog eat dog, back stabbing, stressed out way
to make a living. Remember, Pro drivers put their lives on the line, on the
track every day. The NBA, NHL, NFL etc are just games, with a score board
and over paid ex-cons on the field.

The movie driven is full of technical mistakes. Why does the car in the
pond and rain explode when ordinary water extinguishes methanol? Who cares
its a movie. Most of the James Bond movies are totally screwed when it
comes to technicalities. I remeber one scene where a C-130 transport runs
out of fuel and the engines stop with the sound track of a radial piston
engine, (kind of a kachuck, kachug, cough sound) which of course is wrong
because a C-130 is a turbine (jet engine) powered airplane.

Let's face it, we are to biased about racing to ever accept a racing movie
because if its about racing then its just a re-run of an actual race and if
its about the people who race, then its either a love story or a tragedy
and the racing is just in the background.

I'm ready to see it again, and it will be on my list for Christmas video's
Two thumbs way up, turn up the volume on the surround sound and have fun!
Greg Drake
FM9