Re: Driven kicks it up a notch

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Driven kicks it up a notch
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 08:02:06 -0700
If it's any consolation Hollywood screws everything up, not just racing
movies. A few years ago I bought this science fiction novel by David
Brin about a man in a post-apocalyptic world who very reluctantly
becomes a hero after accidentally finding a wrecked postal service
truck. It was so good that I immediately read it again as soon as I was
finished. A great, thought-provoking book and I remember how excited I
was when I read that they were going to make a movie of it.

The film? _The Postman_ with Kevin Costner, perhaps one of the worst
movies I've seen in the last 10 years. The only saving grace is I think
he used about 2 characters and 3 lines out of the book so if someone
later decides to film the book again using the real plot and characters
I doubt anyone would notice it's from the same novel.

- Alan Dahl

Alan Dahl                                               home:
adahl@eskimo.com
Federal Way, WA, USA                       work: Alan.Dahl@PSS.boeing.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~adahl          ICQ 52688023