Re: Solo DSC (part one)

To: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Solo DSC (part one)
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 08:13:15 -0500
George Ryan wrote:

>Hmmm  - it is your contention that proper course design would answer a
>rookies DNF's in it's entirety?

Pretty close. We typically have very few - often zero - novice-related DNFs
here in Texas Region. But we do have a Novice chairperson who walks the course
with the newbies and gives them some pointers. And our courses are lined and
well laid out.

>My favorite part is driving my car at speed.

They have these things called "driver ed" and "open track" events that would be
perfect for you, then. Sounds to me like you're just not a Solo II kinda guy.
Which is fine with me, but I don't think you're at all justified in your
criticisms of the sport.

>Solo II suggests you walk the course before driving it, a navigational thing
>IMO.

No, it's a _competitive_ thing. Since practice runs at speed are not allowed,
and since you only get so many chances, you need to learn to find the quick way
around _before_ you drive at speed. It's a skill set, and if you don't acquire
it, guess what? You don't win.

>> No news there, but lemme make sure I get this straight: you consider it a
>> _problem_ that Solo II competitors get better with experience?
>
>Why would one want to be more experienced at walking at a motorsport event?

Lots of us do. Check out Nationals. Do you honestly believe that a significant
fraction of the competitors there _don't_ want to walk the course?

>> Allowed by the existing rules.
>
>And reinforcing my thoughts that practice laps are not a bad thing.

Nope. A "parade lap" is _not_ done at speed, it's done with a pace car to keep
speeds low. Its sole purpose is to allow folks to see where the course goes in
case they were confused. It is _not_ the same as practice laps.

>At least it is the drivers skill being measured, and not his car. And
>(although not a "skilled" driver by any strectch of the imagination) I was
>unable to duplicate my times that consistantly without actually "going for
>it".

I'm definitely not an "A" driver. I've done many events where all of my times
were within a .2 or .3 second window on a 60+ second course. And guess what:
not only was I consistent, I was _beaten_ more often than not by a competitor
who got just _one_ run with a better time than me. You see, that's the object.
It's easy to be consistent if you aren't driving ten tenths. But it's also easy
to get beaten that way in Solo II. I've had to work on going for it to find the
extra time. Being consistent and not fast enough is _not_ the mark of a top
driver.

>Just as a
>side note, none of us had electronic help, either.

Nor did I.

>I challenged Kevin to try it at his next event, and report back with his
>results - - and also report how enjoyable a driving experience his
>"sandbagging" was compared to "going for it". I challenge you to do the
>same, and let us all know your real world experience, instead of your
>theories.

See above. Been there, done that. Consistent does not equate to fast. I prefer
to shoot for one good run, not five or six 99% ones.

>I certainly hope we can agree to disagree. I don't think you were trying to
>catch a quarter million dollar RSR with a little rotary or 4 cylinder car
>last year, either.

That was 1999, not 2000. Was the "$250k" car the only one that you didn't
manage to catch?

>Or run a 15 year old 90 horsepower Fiero against a late
>model ACR heads up, as the SCCA would have us do (for example).

Tell the whole story, at least: a 90 hp _mid-engined_ car against a _fwd_ car.

>It is my
>hopes that DSC brings those type disparities at least a little closer than
>the Solo II community has been able to.

It's just like bracket racing: you set your own dial-in, in whatever car you
brought. Consistency will win over speed, and consistency is much more easily
achieved at nine tenths than at full tilt boogie.

>There is no thought of replacing Solo II.

Good, because it can't possibly accomplish that.

>The goal is to offer an option
>that currently isn't available.

Well, I can't argue that DSC will do that. Whether it's an option that many
folks _want_ is another question, but it's an easily-answered one.

>BTW, if you sell your competiton car, you could always take up Mall walking.
>:-)

That would be more exciting for me than DSC.  ;<)

Jay