Re: Scales At Div Events

To: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Scales At Div Events
From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@qwest.net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 09:40:36 -0500
Mark:

Hi:  My name is Greg, and this is my opinion.  Any similarity to Sam's opinion
is purely coincidental!  :-)

I have been involved in Solo II since 1971 and have, over the years, attended
many events that "followed the rules" but were not worth the time spent to get
there.  The intent, IMHO, of the divisional only rules was to try to define
the
minimum standards for a "good" divisional.  It seems to me that if everyone
drives home happy with the quality of the Divisional experience, then it was
"good".  After all, we are doing this for the competitors, not the officials.

If the competitors in your division feel that, to be a good Divisional, ALL of
the RULES must be vigorously enforced, then it is your job to be sure that the
host region complies.  If, on the other hand, competitors feel that a layed
back approach makes the competition more fun, maybe you allow the host
region a
little latitude.  I am really talking about all of the non-safety stuff, not
scales in particular.

And of course, if a host region does not enforce all of the rules, you can hit
them with every penalty in the book.  :-)

Again, just IMHO.

Greg