Re: Tire warming at Nationals

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire warming at Nationals
From: Eric Linnhoff <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:57:33 -0700
I guess I still don't understand how this could ever be a protestable item.
Where in the rules does it state that one can not have their car running
while in grid?  What, we're not allowed to let our cars warm up now?

Must one let the car completely cool down before enveloping their car with
the shiny-fence thingy?  You're not "artificially" creating heat but rather
just using the natural by-product of an internal combustion engine, heat, to
warm the tires.  You're not "directing" the heat in any strange manner but
rather just keeping it in and around the entire undercarraige of the car
with the reflective material.  How does that differ from covering the tires
after a run to keep the heat in them that was attained during a run?  No, I
know _how_ it differs but explain it to me in legal, rule book lawyer-ese.
How would those two situations differ in the eyes of our current rules?

Would it be illegal for someone to use a passive solar redirection panel to
concentrate and aim the solar radiation towards their tires thereby warming
them?  If so, how would you define the illegality?  How about tire blankets
made of "super solar radiation absorbing material(TM)"?  Is sunlight now
protestable too?  Has placing one's warm buttocks upon a tire now become
behavior that should make one ready to be protested?

To quote some skinny spiky blond haired chick, "Stop the insanity".

Sounds like some folks should concentrate more on just driving well and
leave the paperwork to the E Stockers.  ;^)

Eric Linnhoff in KC
'98 Neon R/T (see-dan)
#69 STS   #13 TLS
knuckledragger@kcweb.net