Re: Tire warming at Nationals

To: Eric Linnhoff <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire warming at Nationals
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:02:35 -0500
The intent of the rule, in my personal interpretation, is that any outside
means of heating tires is illegal.  Trivializing matters and twisting the
questions (quote: "Where does it say you can't have your car running in
grid")doesn't change things...it's a rule and rules will be argued.  Fact
is that significant advantage can be gained by pre-heating tires in many
cases, so I don't think this is just joke fodder.

To answer you other questions, if a "super solar radiation absorbing
material(TM)" was invented, than I would personally rule that this is in
fact illegal.  You are *artificially* heating the tires through a seperate
source of energy.  You might as well allow F1 style electric heating
blankets.  I beleive the intent to be that tires should only be heated with
the internally generated heat as a result of driving your runs, not through
an external source like engine heat.  (Bringing up residual solar energy
gained naturally because your sitting on the grid, or butt heat in your
example, is simply presenting a completely absurd argument in order to
degrade and trivialize the real issue.)

The wording of the rule typically becomes the point of contention for those
who like to interpret legaleze IMO.  Frankly if the rule simply didn't
exist, it would clearer under the guise of "if it doesn't say you can do
it, you can't" theory.

> I guess I still don't understand how this could ever be a protestable
item.
> Where in the rules does it state that one can not have their car running
> while in grid?  What, we're not allowed to let our cars warm up now?

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer
Wausau, WI