Majordomo infected (unlikely)

To: ".Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Majordomo infected (unlikely)
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 01:56:08 -0500
This is funny in its own odd way.

In the past two days I have *twice* been sent the Klez virus, ostensibly
from majordomo@team.net.

What strikes me funny about it is that the team.net mailing lists are
configured to strip attachments, and here I am seemingly getting an
attachment from team.net's majordomo.

Anybody else get the same? Both times it came with the subject line "Happy
assumption," whatever that might mean.

Of course, the thing about Klez is that it steals addresses to plug into the
>From line (It also uses stolen subject lines). Somewhere it found
majordomo@team.net and plugged that one in. Every time I have checked back
on one, it turned out the purported sender did not send it at all. It is
unlikely in the extreme that team.net's majordomo sent it. The nasty thing
about Klez is that finding out who really did is nigh impossible so we can't
even help the poor victim by letting him know. That's why this virus has
been so damn prevalent (I've gotten it at least six dozen times already;
fortunately my Norton's snags it every time).

BTW, has anyone run down this other thing that keeps popping up -- always a
little 4-line message about how it is someone's first effort at something
(variously, a game, a program, a website, whatever), and how he hopes I
would like it. There's an attachment. I never opened it, but I'm curious as
to what it really is. I suspect a variant of Klez because it keeps coming
with different From lines.

--Rocky