Re: Edelbrock QwikData

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Edelbrock QwikData
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:04:57 -0400
Yeoh Yiu <squid@panix.com> wrote:

> Do you think there any hope of hacking into a car's stock computers
> (all those stability control, traction control, abs, corner brake
> control systems) and logging the data for sporting use ?

I doubt it - at least as far as getting output from the OEM controllers
(tapping into sensors is easy)

There are 2 things working against you:

1) The OEMs do not release specs, and do their damnedest to obfuscate all
the code, communications protocols, etc by which one could discover what
information is availible and then put it on a wire to be read by a logger.
It CAN be done, but it's a non-trivial reverse-engineering effort.

2) Even if you are getting data from the controller, the sample rate
probably won't be high enough to get meaningful data. A good example is
OBDII. OBDII does have provisions for logging channels (intended as
diagnostic aids) but you are limited (if memory serves) to a maximum of 4
channels logged and a sample rate of no more than 3 samples/sec. That just
doesn't cut it for motorsports use.

DG