Re: need clarification on a rule, please...

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: need clarification on a rule, please...
From: "Cheryl and Jim Fossum" <fossum@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 23:22:37 -0500
>Actually, I think the programmable CPU will only move him into SM2 if it
>controls boost.  Otherwise, it would still be legal for ASP.

>Anyone who knows the correct answer is free to jump in here :)

A "piggyback" computer that only modifies the output signals from the CPU
(i.e. fuel injector pulse width and ignition timing signals) but doesn't
control boost should be legal.  A replacement or reprogrammed ECU is usually a
no-no on a turbo car as it has the potential to affect boost control functions
(including fuel cut).  The same generally goes for any modification to the
airflow signal into the CPU for the same reasons.  If the changes in no way
affect wastegate control or fuel cut functions, that should be legal, but you
had better have enough documentation to prove it to a protest comittee.

Jim