Re: President Steve Johnson MEMO

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: President Steve Johnson MEMO
From: "Scott Hearne" <hondaman@sssnet.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:17:53 -0500
I think most are missing the point here.

As a member of a 'small' regional club (Akron Sports Car Club) as well as a
member of SCCA I think the reasoning behind Steve Johnson's statement has
more to do with SCCA regions co-sanctioning events with independent clubs
like the ASCC.

After 9/11 the insurance industry took a stance that liability insurance was
going to become VERY EXPENSIVE if available at all. In the case of the ASCC
it was the latter. We had in the past been able to purchase the requisite
five million dollars coverage for a reasonable sum. After July 1, 2002 we
were unable to purchase the needed five million dollars coverage from anyone
at any price. At that point we were faced with cancelling the remaining
three events left or trying to get a co-sanction from a sympathetic SCCA
region.

As our relationship is and has been excellent with the SCCA region in our
area we were able to get them to co-sanction our events for the remainder of
the year. The reality is that insurance for conducting Solo II type events
is for the most part non existant outside of the SCCA.

My point is that I think all Steve Johnson was saying is that SCCA regions
should exercise due diligence when agreeing to co-sanction an event. If a
region is going to co-sanction a Solo II event with an independent club it
had better be done with all the care and consideration that the sanctioning
region would give to an event of their own. Nothing more, nothing less.

That P.R.O. is organizing an autocross series at this time is purly
coincidence in my view and I believe many are trying to read too much into
his statement. I would have to believe that the P.R.O. organization is at
least well enough organized and funded that they could look after their own
insurance needs. I can't for the life of me fathom them trying to insure
their events through a co-sanction with any SCCA region.

I.M.O. Y.M.M.V.

Scott Hearne