Re: First event

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: First event
From: KWall73108@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:13:37 EST
In a message dated 1/14/03 9:38:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mikelowe93@Houston.rr.com writes:

<< I can beat that.

     I was also thinking of what my parents were doing back then.  Dad
 started a sports car club while in college (UW-Milwaukee) in the early 60s.

If family is fair game; In 1958 my brother and I went to watch pop and other
crazys roar around a very small parking lot in a pretty small park of the
somewhat small town Decatur Illinois, the event was called a gymkhana.  In my
biased opinion pop's brand new robins egg blue MGA roadster was the prettiest
car there and of course also best driven.  The contests involved backing into
gates and one had the driver wear a papersack on his head while the co-pilot
gave navigation instructions (no helmets were required).  After watching a
full race bugeye, (this driver wore a helmet), smoke slicks while drifiting
around the course, pop's buddy, who had the second prettiest car there, a red
TR3, commented, I'm just going to take it easy.  Of course that changed when
he was out on course and totally lost it backing into the gated garage with
tires smoking and cones flying.  Of course, all the road warriors stopped at
the local Stake and Shake to share stories of fame and shame after the event.

Kevin (kodachrome etched memories) Wallace