Re: First event

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: First event
From: Willem Bermel <wbermel@pa-tpa.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:39:35 -0600
Ah, yes,
Let me think...I started Autocrossing way back in 2002.
Bought my first new car, a Toyota MR2 Spyder, in September of 2001 and
needed somewhere to stretch out the legs.  I wasn't even aware of SCCA or
Autocrossing at the time.  I did a little research on the internet, looking
for good places to drive..stumbled across some site where these crazy people
would set up cones and drive around them as fast as they could. Sounded
kinda cool. Found out that the next years Intro to Autocross School
conflicted with my 1 year anniversary and my sisters graduation from
college.  Looked into neighboring regions and found one...talked my cousin
into going with me in her Jeta.  Learned enough to make it around the
course.  Did OK in Novice classes and moved to CS. Finally went to a ProSolo
in Peru and found out what Autocrossing REALLY was.  Got to drive on Khumos
for the first time, thanks to some generous people (thanks guys, you made me
a AX nut). Managed to get DFL there, but it made me see what the car could
do. Now I won't be satisfied until _I_ can make it do that. Somehow managed
to get elected Solo Chair for this year so I guess I stick with it awhile
(like I wouldn't anyway.)  I look forward to the day when I can recall that
story and actually impress people with the 'history' aspect of it.
-WB