Re: 02-03 mustang GT..?

To: "Mike Smith" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: 02-03 mustang GT..?
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:15:44 -0500
At 07:01 PM 1/16/2003 -0500, Mike Smith wrote:

>Be aware that the '97 is a 220hp car, while the '01 is a 260hp car. In '99
>Ford revised the 2v 4.6L engine. Add to that, the Auto/Stick difference, and
>I bet it does feel different.
>

>Mike
>CP 58

Mike,

What is interesting, since I frequently drive both the 97 automatic and the
01 stick on the same day, is that in real world driving the lower HP slush
box is much easier to drive quickly in traffic while still beig "sane"
about the whole thing (i.e. don't smoke the tires, etc.) Of course "sane"
for me at my current age is somewhat more restrained than it was 25 years
ago <grin>.

Obviously from Scott's response his idea of street driving is somewhat more
aggressive than my current style . . . most of the time.

I will say that the stock transmission calibration for the 1 - 2 shift for
our 97 automatic is firm enough that a half throttle upshift makes my
throttle foot move from the shift "impact". (Maybe I should do leg
exercises . . .)