Re: 02-03 mustang GT..?

To: Tommy Regan <tommy_regan@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 02-03 mustang GT..?
From: "Scott M. Stone" <sstone@foo3.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:19:53 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Tommy Regan wrote:

> (Resending 'cause I didn't see it post)
>
> Well, the later model modular cars ('99+) are solid 14.1-14.3 @ 96-99 mph
>cars in the 1/4....with
> a stick.  That's plenty respectable, but hardly what I'd consider "quick".
>That's on par with
> your Rx7 (in stock trim, of course) within a few tenths/mph.  Add a slushbox
>(bah is right!) and
> you can add several tenths and subtract a few mph.
>
> Keep in mind the rear gear in the auto may have been exceptionally weak.  I
>_think_ they all come
> with 3.27 gears, but maybe they still offer the 3.08 and (puke) the 2.73.
>The more gear for those
> cars (especially autos), the better.  3.73 to 4.10 is the norm.
>
> Are they soft?  Well, yeah!  Think of their marketing
>target.....straightliners and commuters. :-)
>  Fortunately, the aftermarket for Mustangs is second to none.....assuming
>you're interested in
> modifying it for cheap.

my wife just thinks they look cool and wanted to drive it around town...
most likely very slowly and timidly, and would probably go to the body
shop at least once due to a wayward mailbox or tree, but maybe not, she's
pretty careful with stuff, unlike my mom (spin out and hit a mailbox in a
1969 vette stingray indeed - what did you think that ice was pavement,
mom?  yikes.  it was chicago in the winter, easy on the right foot...)
anyway...

looking at a more sedan-type car for her now.  She's afraid of driving
though so i'm thinking of taking her autocrossing after she gets her
license just so she can have some fun behind the wheel and get over the
fear.