Re: New Car Classing

To: "Scott M. Stone" <sstone@foo3.com>
Subject: Re: New Car Classing
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:11:05 -0500
> > 45 degree "turn-down" from local parts store = $6
> > "U" clamp to hold it on = $3
> > Can of liquid penetrant to loosen up and remove everything rear of the
cat =
> > $3
> > Total = $12 (or $21 if running a true dual exhaust system).
>
> ... sixteen hours of swearing every year when you have to replace all the
> cheap rusted exhaust parts = priceless
> some things are priceless - for everything else, there's MasterCard (tm)
> :)
> $12 can't get you any kind of quality metals, seriously...
True dat, homey.  But divide that $21 figure (let's assume a dual exhuast
system with two cats) into the prior figure of $1500 and we'd have to keep
the car, and replace all parts involved each year, for over 71 years to
equal the same cost.  How many 70+ year old cars are still competitive in
the Stock Category?  And who's to say that the fancy-schmancy titanium
exhaust system won't have deteriorated into dust by then anyway?

All I'm saying, is give peace a chance.  No!  Dammit Katie, now you've got
_me_ spouting the stuff.  What I meant was this; spending $1500 for a
cat-back exhaust system for a Stock Category car is definitely _not_ a
requirement to be competitive.

And seeing as I'm one of the cheapest bastards around, I'll take the more
frugal route almost every time.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
'98 Dodge Neon STS #69
www.geocities.com/eric10mm/KnuckleDragger
"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up,
all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit
takes their place."
Mark Twain