RE: Off Topic: Merc Sable Fuel/Ignition Shutoff?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Off Topic: Merc Sable Fuel/Ignition Shutoff?
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <fuhrmann@cpinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 17:16:21 -0600
> A neighbor has an interesting story about driving a Mercury
> Sable (98 or 99) on the shoulder of the road and having the
> engine cut out. He says they weren't able to start it until
> a State Trooper came along and hit some kind of reset
> switch in the trunk!

I was hit from behind a few years ago and the other car wouldn't start.  The
Trouper had them open the trunk and he found the switch by the left tail
light.  He said that quite a few cars had it there to shut off the electric
fuel pump in case of an accident.

On my car, the fuel pump is powered up when the car is being started, the
engine control module recognizes that the engine is running, or there is oil
pressure.