Re: Off Topic: Merc Sable Fuel/Ignition Shutoff?

To: "Pete Holsberg" <pjh@mccc.edu>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Off Topic: Merc Sable Fuel/Ignition Shutoff?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 21:16:46 -0600
From: "Pete Holsberg" <pjh@mccc.edu>

> A neighbor has an interesting story about driving a Mercury
> Sable (98 or 99) on the shoulder of the road and having the
> engine cut out. He says they weren't able to start it until
> a State Trooper came along and hit some kind of reset
> switch in the trunk!
>
> Is he pulling my leg?

Probably not.  There is a reset button for the safety cut-out on the
electric fuel pump.  These are common on modern fuel-injected cars, they
tell me.  The idea is to shut off the fuel in case of a crash.  This has
triggered a couple of times in my daughters' (yes, that apostrophe is
correct, the both have owned it) 1989 Mercury Tracer.  The switch on that
car is under the lid which covers the spare tire.  One simply pulls up the
cover and presses the button on the little black box.

Autox content:  This car has been autocrossed and is now in the back yard of
a former Driver-To-Nationals who is graciously storing it until Daughter #2
returns from Germany.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com