Denver autox history question

To: autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Denver autox history question
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 14:36:01 -0500
I recall that some years ago when Denver was building a new airport, there
were some problems with the baggage-handling software.  This delayed the
opening of the new airport.

Apparently the autocross community had been told that they could run on the
old airport, but the old airport could not be closed.

It was reported on the national TV news that autocrossers were allowed to
run at the NEW airport before it opened.  There was video of a Miata taking
a slalom.

This is the way I remember it.  I have a buddy who lives in Denver who says
that I have it all wrong and that no autocross car ever ran anywhere on the
new airport property.

Do I have Oldtimers Disease, or does he?

I'm not interested in speculation here.  I want to hear from folks who know
first-hand about this.

Phil "never been to Denver" Ethier

PS, I have heard that the old airport has been developed for other purposes
and that you folks no longer get to run there.  I feel your pain.  Sites
have been a bit of a problem in the Twin Cities also.