Re: [evolution-disc.] Harness bar...

To: "Andy Hollis" <awhollis@swbell.net>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Harness bar...
From: "Cheryl and Jim Fossum" <fossum@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:23:04 -0400
OK, not to change the subject too much, but this has been a bit of a  sore
spot for me.

A turner belt is legal in a closed car, although to to me it seems like the
most unsafe gadget you could possibly wear, since it would probably give you
permanent internal injuries or at least crush your rib cage in an accident
(would anyone actually wear one of these on the street?) .  However, in a
T-top, targa or open car, one can not use a harness without a roll bar.  I
can understand this logic in a convertible, but the rules change this year
to extend this to T-top or targa vehicles makes no sense to me.

I'll be the first to admit, I would never wear the harness on the street
since it doesn't provide proper protection without a roll structure (I don't
even have a harness bar).  However I chose to use a turner belt or harness
(where allowed) in an autocross setting recognizing the additional risk.
With the rule change, if I want to use the harness I need to leave the glass
tops in place (which tend to get scratched by my helmet), as if this would
provide additional safety in a rollover.

If these rules are really intended to increase safety, I would just like to
see more consistency.

Jim