Re: Photographs

To: Craig Boyle <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Photographs
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 18:25:03 -0500

Message text written by Craig Boyle

"This may be what it says in the rule book; but I've
never seen our official (and excellent) photographer
pay any heed to this rule. BTW: I thin Rob might be
better off with 60 seconds of video rather than a few
stills.
> "

Yes, you have. When Jim Williamson shoots photos at SFR Solo II meets he is
ALWAYS on the outside edge of the course looking inward and some distance
away. He is not in the middle. It's when you're in the middle that a
photographer requires a buddy. Nobody should ever have their backsde aimed
at a speeding race car.
        At least that's how it works when I'm the Safety Steward.
        Alas it does not work this way at other region's events nor at the
Solo II Nationals. One region told me it was okay to stand at the edge of
the grid and watch the cars while standing alongside other people but it
was a "no-no" to put the camera up to my eye and shoot a photo from there.
        At Nationals in 1998, I had the "Safety" person remove me from a
similar area where people were seated in camp chairs in the prior run
group. It was okay for them to sit there alongside their gridded cars but
it was not okay to stand in the same area.
        In sum, some people take their volunteer "power" positions a little
too seriously and display a distinct lack of "common sense." The guy who
removed me was polite, thought I had a "case," and suggested I write a
letter. So I moved on to another location.

--John Kelly