Re: Round 14

To: Jim Ochi <jochi@liquidaudio.com>
Subject: Re: Round 14
From: "Kevin Lahey" <kml@patheticgeek.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:14:37 -0700
In message <4.3.2.7.2.20000830131612.00ac6e50@pop.ricochet.net>Jim Ochi writes
>At 09:40 AM 8/30/00 -0700, Grantz, Sherry wrote:
>
>A few years ago, when I ran my first SFR event, there were "Rookie Mentors"
>who were available to take care of the initiation rites for SCCA.  Darren
>Madams was mine, and he did a remarkable job in getting me through my first
>event with all fingers and toes intact, and even made it fun enough that I
>came back.  In fact, the web site still says that if you tell the folks at
>registration that you're a Newbie, they'll introduce you to a Rookie
>Mentor.  Seems to me that we should be able to take a load off the
>registration people, and start working on the problem of untrained workers
>if we started up this program again.

I noticed this on the web site when I first came out to try autox,
and was a little bummed to find that there was nobody there to do it.
As the current rookie program coordinator (or whatever the title is)
I'd meant for awhile to ask Jerry to take it off the web page.

I guess maybe we oughta try to restart it, instead!  What exactly was
involved, and how did we get people to come out to do it?  Did somebody
stay with you all day, through your work assignment and everything?
Did the mentors get credit for this as a work assignment?

It does seem like this'd be a great thing for us to start doing again!

Kevin
kml@patheticgeek.net