Mid-engine questions

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Mid-engine questions
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@idsfa.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:14:24 -0700 (PDT)
I have three not-so related questions, two of which I realized are
about mid-engined cars.

1) I saw a listing for a Fiat X1/9 for sale, and having heard how they
   are dreaded in DSP (at least by the Integra Type R drivers), I went
   and checked out the technical specs.  Very light, mid-engined, but
   not much power.  0-60 times greater than 10 seconds.  Now I realize
   that handling is more critical than power in an autocross, but what
   is done to these cars to make them fast?  Are they street-drivable
   afterwards?

2) Like many others on the list, I am in awe of the Lotus Elise and
   dream of having one of my own.  I saw a yellow one at an AAS event,
   but I'm guessing that it was an Elise 190, not street registered.
   Does anyone have one that is licensed for driving on the street, or
   know anyone who does?  How did you/they do it?

3) The "new" 2001 Miata suspension package and the LS model come
   with 16" wheels and 205/45-16 tires.  A quick check reveals that
   the only race rubber that comes in even close to the right rolling
   diameter is a Hoosier road race tire.  All the others are
   significantly taller.  Since it's not strictly legal for them to
   downgrade to 15" wheels in order to put on race tires (and the 15"
   wheels may not fit due to the rumored larger brake rotors) what
   would a would-be B Stock competitor with such a car do?  Running in
   Street Tire would be one option.  Could they get special
   dispensation in SFR to run 15" wheels until the national club
   decides what to do?  What do you think that the SCCA will decide to
   do, if anything?

   I suppose that requiring them to go ahead and run too-tall tires
   might counteract the acceleration advantage of the extra horsepower
   and keep the earlier Miatas more competetive.