Re: Driving Simulators

To: "Rob Weinstock" <weinstro@hotmail.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Driving Simulators
From: "Bryan Heitkotter" <Bryan64@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:31:36 -0800
> What do you use for inputs?

If I understand your question correctly, I'm using a Thrustmaster NASCAR Pro
wheel/pedal set.  It has a wheel with two buttons (very convenient for the
look left/right feature in GPL) and a sequential shifter.  Plus two pedals
(only one wheel I know of has a clutch).  It was about $90 a couple years
ago, and has held up decently well.  It's not very precise, but you have to
get into the $500+ units to get some real quality stuff [ see
www.hyperstim.com ! ].  There are force-feedback wheels now, the idea of
which is to let you feel the road like in the Hard Drivin' arcade game, but
I have never used one.  I question its ability to lower my lap times.  I'd
rather be controlling the wheel, not fighting it.

Oh, James, how does a 1:29.5 in the Honda at Monza grab you?  :)  I don't
race Monza much, really, but I've a league race there this week so I've been
practicing.

Bryan Heitkotter
'87 MR2  , http://move.to/theMR2