Re: SCCA Racers?

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: SCCA Racers?
From: Larrybsp@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:06:25 EST
from:larrybsp@aol.com (Larry Stark)

             Charlie,
                     There is truth in your statement. Moving from
autocrossing to the track is quite a shift in mind set. I drove my first
events like I was autocrossing. I burned out my brakes half way through the
first day. I also got chewed out good about how late I was braking into the
corners. They went ape over the fact I was passing cars and braking 50 yards
later. Autocross braking does not fly on the track. I've learned to brake a
lot earlier so I can be on the power before the apex of the corner. You also
don't hit cones on the track. If you make a mistake you hit a tire wall or
concrete. A
lesson I learned the hard way. I was lucky. I just touched the tire wall.
Another lecture. You also have to watch your mirrors something not quite
necessary on an
autocross course. You also have to watch out for other stupid drivers who
don't watch their mirrors. Being put in the dirt at 100mph isn't fun. On the
whole its a blast but track events are not like autocrosses so any comparison
would be purposeless. FWIW

                                                                 Larry

In a message dated 1/29/01 9:19:27 PM Pacific Standard Time, Smokerbros