Re: numbers

To: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: numbers
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 14:03:26 -0800
> of their cars as quickly as they can. I think we're all "tolerant" of the
> SCCA-registration-issue paper numbers for an event or two but, REAL numbers
> are SOOOO much easier for everyone to see whether it be at the start or on
> the course. And Patrisk'earlier post is accurate, go buy some contact paper
> at Rite AId or Longs and cut out some numbers before you come out.
>
>         Don

I think the tolerance has gone down quite a bit in the last couple of years
because of all the new classes that have been added.  The problem isn't the
classes per se, but that there is a huge overlap in what classes a car can
run.  This is especially true of rookies, and it is worse for them because we
don't typically know their cars.  So it's more of an issue of not having class
letters, than numbers.

While it's always been true that, say, a Type R could be running Stock, SP,
Prepared, or Mod, those classes are pretty easy to distinguish at a glance
unless the car is way under-prepped.  Now a Type R that pulls to the line may
be running any of:

Stock
Stock Ladies
Rookie-Stock
Street Prepared
Rookie-Street Prepared
Street Prepared Ladies
Prepared
Rookie-Street Prepared
Prepared Ladies
Modified
Rookie-Modified
Modified Ladies
OSP
Rookie-OSP
OSP Ladies
SM
Rookie-SM
SM Ladies
STR
Rookie-STR
STR Ladies
STS
Rookie-STS
STS Ladies
Street Tire
Rookie-Street Tire
Street Tire Ladies

And by necessity, many of these classes run in the same groups, with visually
similar external preparation.

KeS