Re: numbers

To: Geoff Mohler <gemohler@speedracer.speedtoys.com>,
Subject: Re: numbers
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:53:21 -0800
Geoff Mohler makes a good point, accurately visible vehicle IDs are
important to a smooth running operation from "grid-to-grid", so to speak.

A further observation is that incomplete or inadequately visible
number/class IDs, not only cause confusion and delays but can benefit the
deficient one, at the expense of his/her class competitors.

Like it or not,in addition to the problem of penalties being assigned to the
wrong competitor, some penalties (only a few, I hope) don't get properly
recorded at all, for a whole bunch of reasons. But being able to see/read,
and then report, that "112 SS" hit a cone or DNFed, rather than "that blue
car" or "the next car to finish" is a lot more efficiently reported by a
worker, and RECEIVED by the timing crew.

I don't think we need to be reminded but, course workers vary in Knowledge,
experience, efficiency. dedication and attention span. Consistantly accurate
and visible number/class IDs, for each COMPETITOR, (multiple entrants/car
please take special note) will improve the level of ALL workers' performance
by making it easier for each of us, who work course, to accurately report
penalties.

        Don