Re: fuel mileage

To: Phil Esra <philesra@hotmail.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fuel mileage
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 18:38:00 -0800
A detour on Phil's dilema:

>miscellaneous musing:
>
>I was just wondering, and thought maybe someone here would know. What is the
>most fuel efficient speed to drive at? My guess is that it would be at
>whatever speed you're in your highest gear with the engine turning as slowly
>as possible. But is wind resistance great enough that that's not true? Any
>thoughts?
>
>phil

My contribution is a bit off the subject but, I've seen an interesting MPG
"phenomenon".

Now, assuming the "instant" mpg read-outs on my Corvettes have been accurate
(big assumption), I've determined, er speculated, that, at "freeway speeds"
the combined average mileage up some long hills and down the other side is
better than over the same didtance on the level. My guess is that, if the
down-side (freeway) speed can be maintained without any throttle, then the
computer may shut off all gas flow on the downside resulting in an average
mpg of, approximately, twice the uphill mpg over similar distances. Keep in
mind this situation is with a car(s) that run really low RPMs in top gear on
the freeway. Sounds a bit like Andy's WOT explanation. OBTW, if I'm wrong,
it probably doesn't matter much.

        Don