RE: fuel mileage

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net, "'Michael R. Clements'" <mrc01@flash.net>,
Subject: RE: fuel mileage
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 13:13:31 -0500

Message text written by "Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto}"

"Did anyone see that article in Road&Track (I think) a couple months ago
where they theorized that you could get the best mileage by running wide
open throttle at low revs in high gear?  That sounds whack to me (not to
mention bad for the car), but they swore this was the case. "

Sounds wacko to me, too. That's the kind of stunt you pull if you want to
see if the rods are loose. That's the test that can cause severe rod knock.
You use it--only briefly-- when you're testing out a used car. If the rods
knock, you don't buy or you plan an engine rebuild as part of your startup
costs.

--John Kelly