Re: fuel mileage

To: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>, kirk
Subject: Re: fuel mileage
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:17:24 -0500

Message text written by kirk

"John you should
convert that Ford Van to fuel injection.  That would be worth the money.

Kirk"

I believe the '88s came with fuel injection. (Ours is an '86.) And
supposedly the mileage in a 460 goes up dramatcially with FI. While
undergoing a smog test (!), (It's done at idle.) I inquired of the test guy
if there would be a problem if we converted to FI and was informed he was
under instructions not to pass anything that wasn't stock.

        So I've never done anything further about it. The van makes one (1)
long trip per year. Other than frequent stops to refuel, long-term it's a
very mild cost factor.
        Further, at our most recent smog check it was learned the intake
manifold gaskets were leaking. It was no big deal when under acceleration,
but at idle, and that's all that's tested on '86 Ford 460s, it wouldn't
pass and the vehicle was declared a "worst offender" or something like that
and after the gaskets were replaced I had to take to to a referee in
Hayward.
        That was not a happy experience. It wouldn't pass there because the
air cleaner was pinching one of the hoses. And the grunts that work there
aren't supposed to fiddle with anything to make it pass. The idiot handed
me the van back saying each individual smog component was "functioning
properly" but on the whole it wouldn't pass. That he couldn't speak English
very well hindered the communication.
        It never occurred to the idiot that just maybe his testing of each
individual component and reassembly just maybe pinched the hose.

        Other than that I think going to FI is a good idea. <G> There's
also an overdrive unit available that bolts on behind the transmission.
Trouble is the instant costs of all that will take years to balance out.

--John Kelly