FW: [ telephone security]

To: "autox- ba Email list" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: [ telephone security]
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:49:56 -0800
Not AutoX content and you may have already heard, but sounds like good info,
anyway.

        Don

Subject: telephone security
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:37:45 -0800
From: "Tim and Chris Marshall" <LIONWINGFAN@prodigy.net>
To: "Jackie/Eric" <doc.ej.mar@i-is.com>

Subject: phone scam warning

Received this today, thought it was worth forwarding.

PLEASE PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW

 Received a telephone call last evening from an individual
 identifying himself as an AT&T Service technician who was conducting a
test on
 telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should
 touch nine(9),zero(0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up.

 Luckily, I was suspicious and refused. Upon contacting the
 telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the
 requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which enables
them
 to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number. I was
 further informed that this scam has been originating from many
localjails/prisons.

 I have also verified this information with UCB Telecom, Pacific
 Bell, MCI, Bell Atlantic and GTE. Please beware. DO NOT press 90# for
 ANYONE. The GTE Security Department requested that I share this
 information with EVERYONE I KNOW.

 PLEASE pass this on to everyone YOU know. If you have mailing
 lists and/or newsletters from organizations you are connected with, I
 encourage you to pass on this information to them, too.
 After checking with Verizon they said it was true so do not dial(9),
 zero(0), the pound sign # and hang up for anyone.