Re: Quelling the teeming hordes of autox students...

To: "Craig Haggart, Accelerator Ops" <haggart@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: Quelling the teeming hordes of autox students...
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:36:15 -0800
>    > The problem with autox schools is:
>    > 1)  Paying for them - $75 x 40 is a lot less than
>          $25 x 250 that we draw for a regular event.
>
> Personally, I would be happy to pay more than $75.  And although
> the club could still undoubtedly earn more from a regular event,
> I'd guess that dealing with a huge 250-entrant event instead of
> a focused group of 40 has its major downsides, too!

It's not that we're trying to make huge quantities of dough, it just takes
quite a bit to cover the site fee, lunches, porta-potties, etc.  The school(s)
cover their costs, but we'd probably have to charge more if we did more of
them.

A school is actually much more difficult to put on than a regular event.

> How about a weekday?  I'll bet I'm not the only one who would
> be more than happy to arrange a day off if necessary.  And it
> seems to me that the site availability would probably go way
> up as well.

See below.

>    > 3)  Finding instructors
>
> Being a newbie, I'm afraid I don't have much insight into this
> problem.  Are instructors given sufficient incentive?  Free
> club memberships?  Free entry to events?  Track time credit at
> Thunderhill?  Anything?  From what I understand, the Solo II
> program is a huge revenue generator that helps offset the costs
> of other SCCA racing programs.  The club surely must recognize
> the value of the volunteers that make this happen.
>
> Don't they?

Sure they do - we get free lunch!  Seriously, nobody is in autocross to make
money, and it is a volunteer effort.  For one thing, the Region couldn't
possibly afford to pay people what their time is worth in real dollars - any
offer would end up being more insulting than gratifying.

Incentive for instructors is seeing their students learning and getting hooked
on the sport.  Those side bets you see us exchanging on who's pupil does
better on the timed runs mean nothing, really!

BTW, the volunteer aspect of the sport is perhaps one we don't push enough.
Let me throw out my annual plea:  If you REALLY want to thank your instructor,
at the next event learn how to work a position you've never worked before -
and at the following event WORK that position.

>    > There are any number of experienced drivers who are more
>    > than willing to provide assistance and instruction at the
>    > regular events
>
> True, but (to me, anyway) there's at least one major difference:
> The absolute maximum instruction time possible at a regular
> event is on the order of three minutes, total.  And that's only
> if you can somehow find an instructor who can ride with you on
> every run.  The experienced autocrossers are understandably
> usually pretty busy!

Bad assumptions.

First, you can learn as much or more by riding with instructors than having
them ride with you.  Let's say you run one group, work another, and take a
third to prep/tech your car.  An industrious student could score at least one
ride in each of the other five run groups,  although usually a competitor will
kick you out for their last run to be rid of your road-hugging weight.  So
already you have 10 more instructional runs, for 13 at any event.  Now add in
four or five fun runs, which will begin to happen as the days get longer.
It's no problem to get fifteen or so total runs on a course at an event.
That's FIVE TIMES what you were thinking, and it hasn't cost you a dime more
than your entry fee and a few thank-yous.

KeS