Re: Quelling the teeming hordes of autox students...

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: Quelling the teeming hordes of autox students...
From: "Craig Haggart, Accelerator Ops" <haggart@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:54:32 -0800 (PST)
Charlie Davis (Smokerbros@aol.com) said, in part:

   > Personally, I don't think the money is the issue.

I only brought it up myself because it had been mentioned as a
possible issue.

   > I'm guessing you'd get VERY few instructors on a
   > weekday...

Has anybody ever asked?

   > Any more "significant" compensation would make the school
   > a real money loser, one way or another.

Even if it's just event fee waivers or something?  How can
this be possible when there are so many paying customers that
methods are in place to limit attendance and people are being
turned away?

SFR already appears to have an incentive program in place for
officials/workers, involving free (or partial cost) memberships.
How about something like that for instructors?  Or how about
Thunderhill time credits?  That's already what's done with the
street schools, instructors, isn't it?

   > We're doing the best we can.

I hope nobody is under the impression that I think otherwise!
It just seems to me that discussing new ideas can often result
in making things even better.  I dunno, maybe I'm wrong.

--
-Craig Haggart
 haggart@slac.stanford.edu