Re: Painting Rims

To: "Jeremy Rine" <geratol@hotmail.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Painting Rims
From: Jim Ochi <jochi@ricochet.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 18:25:15 -0700
I assume that the existing paint is in good condition - if it's loose or
flaking, then you'll need to strip off all the old paint.  Lightly sand
everything, then wash thoroughly with a good paint prep product (like
Prepsol) to get rid of any traces of oil, wax, silicones, grease,
etc.  Prime with a good primer, then paint.  People that I know have used
Wurth spray paint, because it matches the OEM color on German
cars.  Otherwise, I've heard that Plastikote, Duplicolor, or Krylon work
just fine.  Here's a web page that I found that has what looks like pretty
good instructions: <http://www.homestead.com/jbrinkerhoff/wheel.html>.

Another option is to call up a wheel repair place and see how much they
charge for a repaint.  I've gotten recommendations for one in Sunnyvale or
Campbell, but I don't remember the name.  Maybe someone else can help you
out with that.

Jim