Re: Painting Rims

To: Jeremy Rine <geratol@hotmail.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Painting Rims
From: Lolita and Mike <lomike@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 22:39:08 -0700
on 7/2/01 4:07 PM, Jeremy Rine at geratol@hotmail.com wrote:

> I picked up a set of rims for AutoXing and I really want to paint them flat
> black (I don't like the white rims on a black car).  I been trying to find
> an approperate spray paint because it would be the cheapest method and I
> don't need a show room look.  So far I have tried a high temp flat black
> paint but it still seems to chip off easily.  I even sanded the rim to give
> a better adhering surface.  Powder coating is an option but I have heard
> concierns from several people about the heating process of powder coating
> weakening aluminum rims.  If I did decide to powder coat prices have been
> quoted at $50 a wheel.
>
> In summary, does anyone know a good spray paint for rims or a shop to paint
> them for under $50 (I'm hoping around $25).
Almost any good urethane or acrylic automotive coating should work well (
not to brittle, flexible, etc. ) BUT you will have to get ANY wax/polish
agent off first. Go to a reputable auto paint dealer and get a GALLON of wax
remover and do them three times before you even think about sanding or
you'll just be spreading the wax around.