Re: Painting Rims

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Painting Rims
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 23:00:33 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

> on 7/2/01 4:07 PM, Jeremy Rine at geratol@hotmail.com wrote:
> > I picked up a set of rims for AutoXing and I really want to paint them flat
> > black (I don't like the white rims on a black car).  I been trying to find
> > an approperate spray paint because it would be the cheapest method and I
> > don't need a show room look.  So far I have tried a high temp flat black
> > paint but it still seems to chip off easily.  I even sanded the rim to give
> > a better adhering surface.  Powder coating is an option but I have heard
> > concierns from several people about the heating process of powder coating
> > weakening aluminum rims.  If I did decide to powder coat prices have been
> > quoted at $50 a wheel.

By far the most durable finish would be to bead blast / sand blast the
wheel and then powder coat it.  I've done and have friends that have done
plenty of AL rims and never had a problem.  Usually the concern is that
the powder coating is durable enough that the wheel can crack underneath
it but the powder coat won't break, so you won't know.  The mag wheel
manufacturers that I talked to way back when were very particular about
this.  We never worried so much with the AL rims because they didn't seem
to crack.

Second best is the same bead / sand blast, then paint.

Mark